Saturday, August 22, 2026

Steven L. Hirsch's "Train to the End of The World"

 

Train to The End of The World

 

Metro North platform like a wailing wall

survivors stand heads bowed waiting

for the train to the end of the world.

 

Parking lot now half-filled, yellow ribbons tied to antennae on cars

abandoned

by commuters who never came home.

 

Crematorium ash drifts uptown on a sour wind, the migraine that wouldn’t quit.

The bond trader back at her desk by 7 AM the next morning

gags on a buttered roll.

 

Root canal of city tooth labyrinth

Vicodin sway trance across 7th Ave.

holding my jaw in a numb jut.

 

I hop the “N” 2 stops to 49th

Stare at sheet music in Colony’s window

avoid the office a few more minutes.

 

A hollow echo down the tube

as the falling column roars

here I am boarding the train to the end of the world.

 

The PATH is rough, flooded and treacherous.

Fly a flag, wave a knife, steal a plane, sift gray mud for body parts.

Busy desk a mountain of rubble, recession’s blinders on.

 

Will I reach the promised land with my children?

Will I accomplish the thought, word and deed, voice of peace and security?

Will the tassle be torn from my shoe, jammed under the

opposing seat of this foursome?

 

Will I be late for that early meeting?

Is my beeper dead? Is my Palm Pilot alive

where I have crashed?

Lights flicker and rails squeal past Christopher St.

 

9/2001

[Originally published online in Napalm Health Spa: Report 2002]


From Demon Commuter and Other Poems by Steven L. Hirsch

 



For more on the book: Demon Commuter: Hirsch, Steven L: 9781958266038: Amazon.com: Books



For more on Steven L. Hirsch: Steven L. Hirsch – GIANT STEPS PRESS

No comments:

Post a Comment