Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Warren I. Smith Reflects on Duke Ellington in his soon-to-be-released memoir by GSP, Crossing Borders & Playing with Pioneers: My Life in Music

 


Being on the road with a show was a benefit I had not even imagined. Some of the most inspiring experiences of my life came during these times, sometimes not even related to the show. For example, I was coming down one morning to the lobby of my hotel in Boston. I noticed the entrance in the lower lobby of a night club called Storyville. When I came back later, I saw a group of people downstairs so I went down to check it out. On the way I recognized Russell Procope and Jimmy Hamilton. It’s Duke’s band! I told them I was with the show next door. They invited me to come into the club. “We’re getting ready to rehearse. Would you like to come in and check it out?” What an opportunity!

Duke hadn’t arrived yet. All the cats were standing around the bar, smoking, drinking, never thinking of rehearsal, nonchalant. Then Duke entered and sat next to the piano, got comfortable and started playing a nice easy blues. The bassist Ernie Shephard reacted first, put down his drink and had his bass out of its cover before Duke finished his first chorus. When Ernie started, my idol Sam Woodyard, sharp as a switchblade, looked up. He was holding his cigarette and his drink both in his left hand while gesturing to make his point with the mighty right. I still can’t do that! As soon as Sam heard that bass line underneath Duke’s piano, he broke off immediately, got right up there and started laying down that impeccable time, and the shit was on now!

Everyone was focused on getting up there to get a piece of this groove. A sweet trumpet solo was followed by a clarinet chorus or three. Then I noticed a lone figure come striding across the stage, his tenor out ready to hit the downbeat at the top of the next chorus. Paul Gonsalves, the last to arrive, was ready. But the downbeat never came. Right on the one, Duke stood up and cut the band off with an emphatic sweep of his right hand. Absolute silence swept the room and Ellington said in a mellow tone, “Now, gentlemen, let’s look at the passage we kind of fumbled through last evening.”

How elegant, how cool could a bandleader possible be! It was a lesson in psychology as well as musicianship and discipline. After the show that night I got back in time to catch most of the last set. The effect of the rehearsal was evident in the performance. One of the trumpet players played a rhythm on the cowbell I had heard in the rehearsal, but this time some others picked up claves and maracas in the section and transported the audience to a Caribbean island. The band swung right on through the night as usual and left us dancing out of the club and back upstairs into the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment